Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Each Student Posted a Blog Comment Today!

We started our day discussing how to post a comment on a blog and what makes a quality comment.  The students each posted a comment today!  If you have the time, take a look!  They did a great job.  I am encouraging them to begin to post comments from home.

We have struggled with problems between Internet Explorer and Blogger.  From my own research, Safari and FireFox seem to be a good match to Blogger, but IE has had problems working it.  Many of you may have tried to post a comment only to have it erased, without your post going through.  Thanks to our IT department, I think we have finally found a "fix."  Please let me know if you are ever having difficulties with the blog.  A lot of this is new for me too, so in some cases, the kids and I are learning together.  (I hope you don't mind being dragged along with us!)  If you have a working knowledge of blogs and have any suggestions or ideas, please pass them along to me!


The students continued their individual work in Math Rules, TOPS Math and Exploratory today.  We had a pretty long Exploratory block of time and they really made some progress!  Ask your child about their current task. 


The students were also introduced to the Components of Creativity:
  • Fluency
  • Flexibility
  • Originality
  • Elaboration
Some questions have only one answer:  Who was our 16th President of the the United States?

Some questions have many answers:  What are all of the ways you might have come to school today?

When I asked our students this second question, they came up with car, bus, and walking and then moved onto more creative and original ideas.  Charlie, thought of a jet pack,  Scott suggested you ride in an ice cream truck!  These ideas really helped us become more divergent in our thinking!  Cady thought of riding on a giraffe.  Xander suggested flying through the air after being launched from the catapult!  Ashley thought of a big bunch of helium balloons and Corrina thought of flying on a hang glider.  Lily suggested an ambulance and Theo thought we might bounce here on a big trampoline.  We came up with a long list of many more. Wow! A pretty creative list for our first brainstorm of the year.  Ask your child to brainstorm more ideas for you.

We ended our day discussing what it means to be "gifted" and why students come to SAGE.  We discussed that there are other gifted students in their classroom, who will never need to come to SAGE.  There are other gifts and talents that students might have and they would have other types of "gifted" teachers.   Ask your child to tell you more about our conversations.

It was wonderful to see so many families at our Open House last night!  If you have not signed up for a parent conference, please call or email me

Have a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs.Koch,

    I am going to go somewhere fun this weekend, I am so pumped about it!



    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charles,

    Where are you going? I am glad you have an exciting weekend ahead. Tell your brother I hope he had fun in New York. I can't wait to see his IS projects this year! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs.Koch,

    I am going to ChuckE.Cheese's



    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs Koch

    I love this way of keeping up with the class! I'm glad Charlie was able to show me around the website. I was sad to miss the open house but look forward to seeing the room at conference time.

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mrs.koch

    How are you doing today.


    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Scott,

    I'm so glad you were able to get on the blog this morning! Be sure and thank your teacher for making time for you to do it in her classroom. When you post a comment, try to remember to share something you have learned. It can be at home or at school. What are you studying in science back in our regular classroom? I hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear,Mrs.Koch my class is learning how to write paragraghs.It is very fun!

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lily,
    Once you get good at paragraphs, you will find your ideas will turn into whole stories! We are starting individual blogs soon. You will be able to use your paragraph skills to write good posts. My daughter spends most of her free time writing stories. She has always enjoyed writing too. See you in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mrs.Koch

    It was fun learnig colors in spanish.But it was funto play the color game.


    Scott

    ReplyDelete