Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Digging Deeper Into Endangered Animals (and Applying Our Research Skills Too!)


This morning, we discussed our 2nd grade, basic academic vocabulary:
  • knowledge
  • comprehension
  • research
  • independent
  • plagiarism 
We went to the D Day SAGE blog to watch a video of a lesson I taught last year to a group of kindergarten and first grade students on plagiarism.  I loved the response of the students that day.  It is very clear they want credit for their own work and they do not want someone else taking credit for their work.  What better way to help students understand plagiarism.  Our second graders understand now too!

Next, we discussed what it means when we refer to digital or print sources.  We also discussed how students in college sometimes use highlighters to mark important information in a textbook they purchased.  I showed them some of my own textbooks with colored highlighting and notes in the margins.  


I matched the students up with a partner and gave them a printed copy of an online encyclopedia article.  They worked together to highlight the article from World Book Encyclopedia Online, "Endangered Species."  It contains important information they need to be able to answer the questions in our research packet:  

  • What is the difference between an extinct and an endangered animal?
  • Why are some animals endangered?
  • How are we helping to save endangered animals?
  • Why should we work to save endangered animals?


I want them to be able to prove their answers by by showing me where they located their information.  While  schema or background knowledge is very important, in this case, they can only record what they can prove out in their resources.  I want the students to understand this kind of research is about using quality, current informational sources, accuracy in their note taking, avoiding plagiarism and documenting their sources with a bibliography.


After completing their highlighting, we worked together to locate the answers in their article.  The highlighting helped them to locate the information we needed.  (It also holds them accountable for actually reading the article carefully :-)


I was really pleased with their focus, effort and ability to work cooperatively.  
Bravo B Day 2nd Graders!


Next, the students worked at their own pace on TOPS Math.  We ended our day working in our Exploratory centers.... and yes, I got busy and forgot to take their pictures today!  Ugh!

I hope the students and your family have a wonderful and relaxing holiday season!  I will look forward to seeing the students when we return from winter break!



9 comments:

  1. Hi,Mrs.Koch today in sage we learned more about endangered animals. My endangered animal was an... Javan rhino. Also in spanish we got to learn all the months of the year! See you next, week! Isabella rotation day B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mrs.koch,
    In my class we where doing a test and i got a STAR!It was resess so i got extra time to play.And we are compareing and contrasting.And it is fun.

    I am glad we are not at school and i hope you and your family are safe.Have a great day!





    maddison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddison,

    Congratulations on your star! You should be very proud of yourself. Are you enjoying your snow day? We are all warm, inside and safe. The snow was pretty amazing to see! Enjoy your weekend. Hopefully the streets will be cleared and ready for school on Monday. See you then!

    Mrs. Koch

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear Mrs.Koch, i'm looking ford to going back to school also SAGE! I also want to complet my paper mask that will lool like a Javan Rhino. Today is st.patricks day! Me my brother also mom got to be in the PRADE and dad was at work! see you next week ! Isabella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs.Koch, I can't wait to go to SAGE! I really want to paint my mask. see you next week! Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Isabella,

    I'm so glad you are enjoying your SAGE work! I was just looking at your mask today. It is dry and ready to paint. You did a nice job on your paper mache. I hope you have a great weekend!

    Mrs. Koch

    PS You are doing a fabulous job on your quality comments! Keep up your blogging. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs.Koch, I can't wait antill we go to open house! My brothers fair was on Wenseday there was lots of cool stuff ! Like volcanos and rollor coasters. Yesterday we watched The Hunger Games! It was a veary cool movie also the movie was 2 hors long! we had nachos , chowey sprees ,and cake pops!Tomarow my brothers grts to go to the Royls game me and my mom are just staying for the picknick. That means me and mom get to have a girls day.Also dads gone for the rest of this week and next week in Arozona! We have lots of stuff we half to do!I cant wait an tillm Monday!!!! Isabella rotashin -B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Isabella,

    It sounds like you have had a fun and busy week! I always enjoy the IS Fair. I wasn't able to attend this year-- I was at school getting ready for our own Open House. I love having a "Girl's Day." Courtney and I have been having several of those lately and we try to get ready for her graduation. I will really miss having her at home. What did you and your mom do during your day together?

    I am excited about our Open House too. We still have a lot to do tomorrow! I hope everyone is ready to work hard!

    See you in the morning,
    Mrs. Koch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mrs. Koch, I wanted to tell you that I am going to make an animal themed website! It will be called kidzandanimals.com my mom is going to help me make it today! I will put pictures of snow leopard's
    Your friend,
    Audrey.

    ReplyDelete